[Pharo-project] Fwd: Cog VM doesn't start to listen on socket

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 13:23:32 EDT 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 10:23 AM
Subject: Re: Cog VM doesn't start to listen on socket
To: Lukas Renggli <renggli at gmail.com>

Hi Lukas,

    obviously we use sockets intensively in Teleplace and we see no problems
that are to do with Cog.  But Cog does throw up timing issues in your code
because it has very different performance to the base VM (Smalltalk code is
faster, most primitives have the same speed, allocation is slightly faster,
etc).  So my gut feeling is that what you're seeing is a timing related
issue (race condition?) that is revealed when on Cog and hidden when on the
normal VM.

HTH (yeah, right... ed.)
Eliot