[Pharo-project] About Adding/modifying in SUnit or not?

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 10:07:18 EDT 2010

I am all in for improving SUnit, but there must be some compatibility
mode that makes it easy not only to run, but also to write tests on
the official SUnit. This is crucial for projects like Seaside,
Magritte, Pier, PetitParser, ... that are supposed to work on various
other Smalltalk platforms.

Lukas

On 25 October 2010 15:51, Niko Schwarz <niko.schwarz at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Yea, well, it depends on whether we want to be compatible with camp
> smalltalk's SUnit, as maintained by Niall Ross:
> http://sunit.sourceforge.net/devel.htm. Pharo already is using
> extensions, such as the possibility to mark tests as expected failures
> at all (that is impossible in standard SUnit).
>
> My humble opinion is that we must control our testing environment, and
> we already have an excellent cleanup of SUnit, namely akuhn/SUnit,
> http://www.squeaksource.com/akuhn.html. And we have progress in the
> form of Phexample, which builds ontop of SUnit.
> http://smalltalkthoughts.blogspot.com/2009/11/phexample-because-examples-expand-on.html
> . I'd be more than happy if Pharo took a new SUnit as its standard
> testing framework, and I'd even be thrilled if enough people found
> Phexample useful enough, so that it could become standard over time.
>
> Niko
>
> 2010/10/25 Luc Fabresse <luc.fabresse at gmail.com>:
>> Hi all,
>>  I am working on pushing environments in SystemNavigation.
>>  SystemNavigationTest previously used ClassFactoryForTestCase from SUnit for
>> generating  classes.
>>  Now I need an environment-aware ClassFactoryForTestCase.
>>  Should I directly modify ClassFactoryForTestCase since a class generator
>> should now be environment aware?
>>  Should I subclass ClassFactoryForTestCase and put it in SUnit?
>>  Should I never changed SUnit and put it elsewhere? ;-)
>> #Luc

> http://scg.unibe.ch/staff/Schwarz
> twitter.com/nes1983
> Tel: +41 076 235 8683