[Pharo-project] Smells looking at collections

Stéphane Ducasse stephane.ducasse at inria.fr
Sun Oct 24 02:42:28 EDT 2010

> Not trivial? Maybe not, but only a little bit harder than trivial.

We are open to suggestions believe me :)

>> 2) well, this is difficult to get the money for the butter and the butter - we are trying.
>
> If you can compose classes the way you can add a trait to a class now with class and optional method level instance+class variable mapping, then you're done. It would be a lot simpler to use it _and_ it would also be a lot easier to implement it. Especially the tools part.

I'm interested to hear more about that.
Tell us more. The problem we faced was
	- offset access = you cannot reuse bytecode of a trait because the order of the offset can be different in each trait users
	- initialization of instances variables at the trait level and the composition at the class levele

>> 3) again if nobody does anything and we just all cry on ourselves then nothing will happen.
>
> Tools are a must. No tools - no users.

Exact.

>> So for now identifying traits and learning is the way. Then we can refactor, redesign
>
> Well, Traits are in Squeak since 2006, IIRC they were available a few years earlier. So in the last X (at least 4) years the only good candidate to become a Trait was Magnitude.

Come on.
I will not answer to such statement because I'm positive thinking.

Stef