[Pharo-project] Deprecation policy (was: Re: Object>>at:modify:???)

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Sat Oct 23 22:44:13 EDT 2010

On Sat, 23 Oct 2010, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 1:32 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <stephane.ducasse at inria.fr
>> wrote:
>
>> Ok we can deprecate it.
>>

> ys, but please please please use deprecated: anExplanationString on: date
> in: version

Wouldn't it be easier to rely on method timestamps + a version cache, than
spreading redundant information all over the place? Something like:

Object >> deprecated: anExplanationString
 	"Warn that the sending method has been deprecated."

 	(Deprecation
 		method: thisContext sender method
 		explanation: anExplanationString
 		on: (TimeStamp fromMethodTimeStamp: thisContext sender method timeStamp) date "Or something nicer") signal

Deprecation class >> method: aCompiledMethod explanation: anExplanationString on: date

 	^self new
 		method: aCompiledMethod
 		explanation: anExplanationString
 		on: date asString
 		in: (SystemVersion alphaVersionAt: date)

Someone has to implement #alphaVersionAt: (which is easy,  but
SystemVersion has to be modified).
Finally the developement process has to follow some simple rules.

Levente