[Pharo-project] What is a primitive method?

Oscar E A Callau oalvarez at dcc.uchile.cl
Thu Oct 21 12:18:56 EDT 2010

Hi all,

     I have a (basic) question:

What is a primitive method?

In pharo 1.1.1, we have CompiledMethod>>primitive that basically return:

0 if the method is not a primitive method
>0 otherwise

But if you execute this on i.e. Number>>isNumber or Morph>>#model compiled methods you get that these two are primitive methods. Are they primitive methods?

Other (related) question is: When I executed the expression:

SystemNavigation default allPrimitiveMethods

, I get a OrderedCollection with 5581 elements. Are all those methods, primitive methods?

Thanks in advance