[Pharo-project] Speeding up Pharo 1.1

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Sun Oct 17 16:54:25 EDT 2010

On Sun, 17 Oct 2010, Henrik Sperre Johansen wrote:

> Levente Uzonyi-2 wrote:
>>

>> Btw why doesn't the windows VM signal the semaphore?
>>

>> Levente
>>

> http://forum.world.st/InputSemaphore-on-Windows-td1934394.html#a2014576
>
> Basically, there may or may not be some issue with them not being noticed in
> the image, it hasn't been a priority since the Squeak image doesn't depend
> on it, and no-one have set aside the time to fix it.
> Not very hard really, just time-consuming and tedious checking you've hit
> all the points it has to be signalled.

So someone has to do it and it will work. :) Waiting for the signal with
a timeout can also tell if there's code in the vm that doesn't signal the
semaphore. If the waiting ends because of the timeout, but there are new
events available, then we can be pretty sure there's more VM code to be
fixed.

Levente