[Pharo-project] Speeding up Pharo 1.1

Henrik Sperre Johansen henrik.s.johansen at veloxit.no
Sun Oct 17 14:52:29 EDT 2010

  On 17.10.2010 20:49, Igor Stasenko wrote:
> On 17 October 2010 21:45, Henrik Sperre Johansen
> <henrik.s.johansen at veloxit.no>  wrote:
>>
>> Levente Uzonyi-2 wrote:
>>>
>>> Btw why doesn't the windows VM signal the semaphore?
>>>

>>> Levente
>>>

>> http://forum.world.st/InputSemaphore-on-Windows-td1934394.html#a2014576
>>
>> Basically, there may or may not be some issue with them not being noticed in
>> the image, it hasn't been a priority since the Squeak image doesn't depend
>> on it, and no-one have set aside the time to fix it.
>> Not very hard really, just time-consuming and tedious checking you've hit
>> all the points it has to be signalled.
>>
> I don't think that this is the problem with image being sluggy.
> It would feel sluggy from very beginning, not after you load a lots of
> stuff into image, isnt?

Yup, this was mainly to answer why Pharo doesn't use the InputSemaphore,
a short detour which hopefully ends here.
I don't have an image which has been running for 7 hours (non-core at
least), and haven't experienced the slowdown reported myself, so didn't
feel qualified to comment on that matter.

Cheers,
Henry