[Pharo-project] Speeding up Pharo 1.1

Schwab,Wilhelm K bschwab at anest.ufl.edu
Sat Oct 16 09:49:17 EDT 2010

Bart,

My image is 40 MB right now.  That means you have about 100 MB of data?  How do you store it?  How many objects are there?  Are they of fixed size?  If so, you might try a quick experiment using a String or ByteArray wrapped with something that knows how to find a given code.  You might be putting a pretty good load on the GC and using a blob to hold the data might help.  I'm not sure where we are with respect to having a generational GC that would tenure and shrug off old objects.

IIRC, Alan Kay reported having a 160 MB Squeak image for demos, but that was many versions ago, so I hesitate to draw any comparisons.  If you can find or get a copy of it, it might be interesting to open it in current VM to see how it performs.

Syntax highlighting is a possible offender, though I would not expect delays like you are describing.  Do you by chance access the image over a remote desktop connection?  Do you notice the problem with only certain methods?

What do you see in Tools|Process Browser?  If you have a large number or processes running, it might explain a lot.

Bill