[Pharo-project] Speeding up Pharo 1.1

Bart Veenstra bart.veenstra at gmail.com
Sat Oct 16 07:48:06 EDT 2010

Hi list,

I have been working with Pharo for almost a month now, and I suspect
that the performance is degrading fast. UI tasks takes several seconds
to react to my keyboard.

At work we use VAST and I have experience with VW as well and those
smalltaks react to my keyboard and mouse actions instantly. But Pharo
works very sluggish.

My image is about 130MB because I have loaded all dutch postcode in
memory, but that should not affect the performance of general
operations like typing with the keyboard. I am not a fast typer, but
sometimes it takes seconds to show my keyboard input. I can't use the
down key to select the right method from suggestions, because it seems
to lockup completely.

Are there ways to speedup Pharo? I would love to use cogVM but I
haven't got gemtools working on it...

Will upgrading to 1.1.1 fix these issues?

Is my OS (Windows 7-64bit) causing these issues?

Regards,

Bart