[Pharo-project] Xtreams vs become:

mkobetic at gmail.com mkobetic at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 15:46:31 EDT 2010

"Nicolas Cellier"<nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've tested this strategy, and it works well:
>
> - use accessors self input/self output instead of inst. var.
> - lazily initialize the input for Collection and File

Sounds good to me, less work too. I just thought the write:read: approach makes it clearer that you need to do all the writing first and then all the reading. But that'll probably become clear quite quickly. So I think I'll go with your approach. The only case I wonder about is the one where we loop with progressively larger buffer sizes, so we'll need to be able to rebuild the input and output several times. I'll see if I can figure something out.

> In collection tests, I have used
>       ^input ifNil:[input := outer terminal reading]
> where: outer := output := collection writing.
> This is because some Block transforms can't access the terminal collection...

Not sure what you mean, but it will probably get clearer when I go do it.

BTW, I've updated the package comments and regenerated the docs on the site yesterday. If you want to see the changes highlighted, go through the Sources tab and switch to the wiki repository. The diff view is quite usable there.

Martin