[Pharo-project] Object Oriented Implementation of Numerical Methods" under the MIT license

Schwab,Wilhelm K bschwab at anest.ufl.edu
Fri Oct 15 12:50:43 EDT 2010

Didier,

I would go along with "clearly" with the code in Smalltalk; I do not have enough experience with Java to pronounce it too slow to do the job.  Nor can I claim to understand what is involved in a continental weather forecast.  When it comes to transforming 500,000 sample time series, I have a little more sense of it.  There the problem is not so much the cost of processing one of them, it's that I have many of them to analyze and summarize.

It might be that you do not address the expensive things that I use.  For things like non-linear regression with modest numbers of points, the speed penalty of even Smalltalk might indeed not be a deterrent.

In terms of my GPL/GSL struggle, the code most likely to be put at risk by GPL is what is needed to do least squares, root finding, and regression; it is also (however indirectly) connected to the more poorly designed parts of GSL.  The transforms are relatively clean, and would be almost directly accessible with only modest improvements to Pharo.  The few vector operations that I have used from BLAS can be clean-roomed with little effort.  This could work out nicely.

I'm not sure I agree that communication with external libraries is "unstable."  I have done a lot of it for a long time with good results.  It is true that our current FFI is not as good as Dolphin's, but it does work as far as it goes.  It can be readily modified to provide diagnostic information that is suppressed by default and that helps a lot in getting things to work.  NativeBoost and/or Alien will hopefully address callbacks and get closer to Dolphin's handling of structure field types.

Bill