[Pharo-project] Another finalization concern: error handling

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Mon Oct 11 15:32:32 EDT 2010

On Mon, 11 Oct 2010, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> On 11 October 2010 21:07, Schwab,Wilhelm K <bschwab at anest.ufl.edu> wrote:
> Sig,
>
> As a friend here: when did I say I'd remove all?  Remove and process one at a time.  I will admit to having a bias toward doing this with a single executor per object, but even if multiples turn out to have value (need to hunt down and read Levente's description of that), the same idea should apply.

Removing and processing one at a time could do the job, but it will be
very inefficient (especially on VMs which
not support new finalization).
Because:
  - you have to enter critical section for scanning valueDictionary
  - you then have to leave critical section for sending a single #finalize
  - then you should start over and look for next element with nil key (if any)

So, as i said, devil in details.

You can select the executors to a collection and finalize them later, so
you don't have to restart the scanning of valueDictionary.

Levente

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.