[Pharo-project] Hallo Pharoers.. namespaces in the system level ?

Nick Papoylias npapoylias at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 10:43:48 EDT 2010

Ok, first of all thank you all ! It' s definetely a nice welcome for me,
from the list.

Let me point out one things or two though:

It whould be nice to have PEPs (Pharo Enhancement Proposals), for these
major issues.
See PEP for Python: http://www.python.org/dev/peps/ .

Smalltalk is so powerfull that Namespaces can be done in a (large) number of
ways. For example should the namespaces have an hierarchy ? Should the
Inheritance hierarcy of classes be able to 'break' the boundaries of
namespaces ? Should namespaces be first-class ? (ok, yes..), and the list
goes on.

For example there currently exist a setter in the class side for
'migratting' in a new environment, that just alters the class knowledge
about the new namespace and does not erase it's record from the old
namespace. Is this intented ? What is the underlying design ? Should we add
an environment: setter in the subclass message, so that we integrate
namespaces with the current Browser ? Should Behavior always return
Smalltalk globals, or there should be a setter to be able to migrate a whole
hierarchy of classes elsewhere ?

Ok.. hope next time I will posting code instead of questions.

Thank you very much,

Nick