[Pharo-project] Getting my head around low space

Max Leske maxleske at gmail.com
Sun Oct 10 04:21:38 EDT 2010

Hey Bill

No, I hadn't thought about that. But I guess It wouldn't help me much anyway since what effectively eats memory is the data I store in the image; I reuse my objects as much as possible. Basically, I'm storing thousands of very short strings in ByteArrays (files in a memory filesystem, using Colin Putney's Filesystem framework). Writing the same data to disk gives me around 500 MB because of the massive overhead per file (there's around 50 bytes per file and each file allocates 4 KB). I guess it would be less in the image but let's just say I'll need around 1 GB probably.

Max