[Pharo-project] Getting my head around low space

Adrian Lienhard adi at netstyle.ch
Sat Oct 9 13:48:14 EDT 2010

The unix VM and apparently also the Mac VM has an option -memory that allows you to set a heap size:

[adrian:/Applications/Squeak 4.2.3beta1U.app/Contents/MacOS] ./Squeak\ VM\ Opt -help
Usage: ./Squeak VM Opt [<option>...] [<imageName> [<argument>...]]
       ./Squeak VM Opt [<option>...] -- [<argument>...]

Common <option>s:
  -help                 print this help message, then exit
  -memory <size>[mk]    use fixed heap size (added to image size)
  -pathenc <enc>        set encoding for pathnames (default: macintosh)
  -headless             run in headless (no window) mode (default: false)

Notes:
  <imageName> defaults to `Squeak.image'.
  If `-memory' is not specified then the heap will grow dynamically.
  <argument>s are ignored, but are processed by the Squeak image.
  The first <argument> normally names a Squeak `script' to execute.
  Precede <arguments> by `--' to use default image.

HTH,
Adrian