[Pharo-project] XTream was Re: Ocean (was Re: Less plugins, more Smalltalk code!)

Sven Van Caekenberghe sven at beta9.be
Sat Oct 9 08:45:46 EDT 2010

Martin & Michael,

Thank you first for coming up with xtreams and second for taking the open source route and doing the effort to promote it.

I've been browsing a bit in vwnc 7.7 and it really shows that you guys have been thinking about this for quite some time and that this is not the first implementation. This is Smalltalk code that confirms my belief why Smalltalk is better.

I am happy with your reaction and I agree with the goal that xstreams should be loadable and usable next to the standard stuff. Selector names are clearly carefully chosen to make this possible, class names are a bit harder for Smalltalks without name spaces ;-)

I think we (for me, that is Pharo users, for others that might be Squeak users) should really take this opportunity (your invitation) and help turn the xstreams codebase into something portable to multiple Smalltalk implementations.

With Nicolas there is already somebody with great concrete experience and actual code to help make this a reality.

If I can, I will at least be an interested user and hopefully also capable of contributing.

Sven