[Pharo-project] XTream was Re: Ocean (was Re: Less plugins, more Smalltalk code!)

Nicolas Cellier nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 14:15:18 EDT 2010

2010/10/8 Sven Van Caekenberghe <sven at beta9.be>:

> On 07 Oct 2010, at 21:41, Nicolas Cellier wrote:
>
>> Yes, every time I must warn and apologize because I'm guilty of hijacking the name.
>
> [....]
>
> Thank you Nicolas, for the elaborate explanation (I should have checked the wiki on SS first myself).
>
> With your latest updates, everything loads and all tests are green in Pharo 1.1.1
>
> Is this a correct summary then ?
>
> You started Squeak XTreams based on both ideas in VW Xtreams and your own, at a time when VW Xtreams was not MIT licensed (and maybe incomplete). Your goal was/is not API level compatibility with VW Xtreams. Squeak XTreams values backwards compatibilty/integration a bit more, speed is important as well.
>
> I haven't looked deep enough into Squeak Xtreams yet. Reading the high level descriptions (slides and website docs) of VW Xtreams I get this warm feeling of 'Yes, this is it, this all makes perfect sense, feels good'. But apart from some historical influences, the relation with Squeak Xtreams seems rather limited.

Yes that's a correct description of the past and present.

The futur is opened, and the main options for Squeak Xtream are:
1) change goals to get closer to VW - with a compatible API and lot of
mud underneath to glue the implementation on squeak
2) stay at a proof of concept experimental level
3) continue developping independantly as a replacement for Stream

There is a lot of buzz recently, and a renewed interest in VW Xtream.
So there is a chance to gather enough force to attempt a squeak port,
whether based on Squeak Xtream experiments or not.
But it's not to me alone to answer this challenge.

Nicolas