[Pharo-project] 12186 image quit problem

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 13:01:56 EDT 2010

On 8 October 2010 19:54, Alexander Lazarević <laza at blobworks.com> wrote:
> Igor,
>
> maybe this just passed me by, but is this supposed to work only with
> some finalization support in the vm? So is PharoCore1.2 only usable
> with a very recent vm? Which VMMaker version is needed or what does
> your squeak -version say?
> In that case I did not say a word! ;)

nope, it should work w/o problems with older vms.
It runs w/o problems in windoze with following vms:

Smalltalk vmVersion
  'Squeak3.10.2 of 11 February 2010 [latest update: #9314]'

WeakFinalizationList hasNewFinalization
  false

Smalltalk vmVersion
 'Squeak4.1 of 17 April 2010 [latest update: #9957]'

WeakFinalizationList hasNewFinalization
  true

> Alex
>
> 2010/10/8 Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com>:
>> 2010/10/8 Pavel Krivanek <pavel.krivanek at gmail.com>:

>>> ok, can you reproduce this on your VM?
>>> - take prebuilt 12186
>>> - run the image with a file as argument that contains:
>>>  SmalltalkImage current snapshot: true andQuit: true.
>>> - run the image with a file as argument that contains:
>>> 5 timesRepeat: [Smalltalk garbageCollect].
>>> SmalltalkImage current snapshot: false andQuit: true.
>>>

>> The problem is in MCMethodDefinition>>shutdown.
>>
>> Saving works, if i change it to:
>>
>> shutDown
>> "       WeakArray removeWeakDependent: Definitions."
>>        Definitions := nil.
>>
>> Not sure what happens there..
>>
>> Also, it runs without fix, if i do:
>>
>> WeakArray restartFinalizationProcess.
>> 5 timesRepeat: [Smalltalk garbageCollect].
>> SmalltalkImage current snapshot: false andQuit: true.
>>

>>> -- Pavel

>> --
>> Best regards,
>> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.