[Pharo-project] Cmd-t in OB?

Miguel Cobá miguel.coba at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 11:12:14 EDT 2010

El vie, 08-10-2010 a las 15:22 +0200, Lukas Renggli escribió:
> I don't know, I do not maintain them.
>
> I just realize that people often report bugs that have been fixed a
> long time ago.
>
> I suggest that you always load the latest code using the following script:
>
> "Refactoring"
> Gofer new
> 	squeaksource: 'rb';
> 	package: 'AST-Core';
> 	package: 'AST-Semantic';
> 	package: 'Refactoring-Core';
> 	package: 'Refactoring-Changes';
> 	package: 'Refactoring-Critics';
> 	package: 'Refactoring-Environment';
> 	package: 'Refactoring-Spelling';
> 	load.
> !
> "OmniBrowser"
> Gofer new
> 	renggli: 'omnibrowser';
> 	package: 'OmniBrowser';
> 	package: 'OB-Standard';
> 	package: 'OB-Morphic';
> 	package: 'OB-Shout';
> 	package: 'OB-Refactory';
> 	package: 'OB-Regex';
> 	package: 'OB-SUnitIntegration';
> 	load.
> !
> "Tools"
> Gofer new
> 	renggli: 'unsorted';
> 	package: 'Shout';
> 	package: 'ShoutWorkspace';
> 	package: 'RoelTyper';
> 	package: 'ECompletion';
> 	package: 'ECompletionOmniBrowser';
> 	load.
> !
> "Select Tools"
> SystemBrowser default: (Smalltalk at: #OBSystemBrowserAdaptor).

Please don't. This is not the way to go.
That is the reason of Metacello and the correct way is to ask the
maintainer of the Configuration to update it.

This kind of scripts are good in the short term but in the long term
they are bad for the users themselves and for the developers. Why?
Because this script will work for the pharo that is current right now.
Even so, it couldnt work in other pharo versions that are in the wild
now like Pharo 1.0.
When Pharo 1.9 is out and some newbie search the lists, he/she will try
blindly to evaluate that code and more surely won't work, because it
will be diverged a lot between now and Pharo 1.9.

That is exactly the same what happens in Squeak, where the list is
plaged with hundreds of such scripts that  aren't working anymore in the
newest Squeak versions.

Dale is working in providing a standardized #bleedingEdge functionality
to the Metacello configs, so that there is a explicit way to ask for the
very latest package of a given software, while, at the same time,
permiting to designate stable and functional versions for each Pharo
release.

TL;DR :) Use it just for getting the very last version of OB but don't
think that this will always work for every Pharo release in the future.

Cheers

--
Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx