[Pharo-project] 12186 image quit problem

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Fri Oct 8 09:44:38 EDT 2010

On Fri, 8 Oct 2010, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> That's good to know.  It probably should be a lot easier than that.  At least in the Windows vm, there is/was a debug menu (part of the vm's system menu) that would dump the stack for the active process; I hacked it to dump all of them rather than just one, fixed printAllStacks() along the way, and found my problem.  Think of an end user machine; you don't want to have to, or might not be able to, install development tools just to get this type of basic information.  It might simply be a way of ruling out problems, but it could be very important.

It's a lot easier than that. On windows just select the appropriate menu
item "Dump all processes" instead of "Dump call stack".
On un*x you can send SIGUSR1 to the process of the VM to make it print all
stacks. IIRC Cog uses this signal for another purpose, so it doesn't work
with Cog.
What was the problem with printAllStacks() that you had to fix?

Levente