[Pharo-project] 12186 image quit problem

Schwab,Wilhelm K bschwab at anest.ufl.edu
Fri Oct 8 08:07:46 EDT 2010

Do you have access to anything that will dump the callstacks for "all" processes?  One of my first encounters with the Squeak update streams was trying to provide patches to the dump code...  Similar features appeared years later, I suspect unrelated to my efforts.  What I did was hack the VM such that the dump (on the vm menu) gave all (non-dead IIRC) processes rather than just that for the active process; for it to be readable required some changes to when the dump adds a line feed.

Seeing which threads are waiting on semaphores wrapped in critical sections can be a huge help in finding deadlocks.  Get it to lock up, then ask the vm for the dump and look for the offenders.  If we don't have this, we should.

Bill