[Pharo-project] UUID and Cog?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Tue Oct 5 13:56:00 EDT 2010

On Tue, Oct 05, 2010 at 10:18:28AM -0700, Eliot Miranda wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 5:13 AM, Levente Uzonyi <leves at elte.hu> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 5 Oct 2010, Philippe Marschall wrote:
> >
> >  Hi
> >>
> >> Does anybody know whether UUIDs are supposed to work on Cog on Linux? I
> >> got the latest prebuilt Cog from [1] and UUID new crashes my VM with a
> >> seg fault on a Monticello commit. I believe it was working before I
> >> updated some Linux packages.
> >>

> > Just rebuild the VM on your Linux, that should work.
> >

> In fact, just rebuild the plugin.  Here's how.  Once you've checked out
> http://www.squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog, read and obeyed
> unixbuild/HowToBuild through the configure step cd to
>     unixbuild/bld/UUIDPlugin
> and say "make".  Then take the plugin from
>     unixbuild/bld/UUIDPlugin/.libs/UUIDPlugin

Eliot,

Would it be possible for you to build a VM with UUIDPlugin compiled
internally, building it on the same machine that you normally use,
and give it to Philippe to test? If it works, then the information
on http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7358 is probably valid for
Cog as well as for the regular VM. If it does not work, then there
is more to the problem and I'll reopen the issue on Mantis.

As far as I know, there have been no reports of libuuid failures on
the Unix VMs since Ian changed to using an internal UUIDPlugin, so
this is an easy fix if it works for Cog also.

Dave