[Pharo-project] UUID and Cog?

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Tue Oct 5 12:23:42 EDT 2010

On Tue, 5 Oct 2010, Philippe Marschall wrote:

> On 05.10.2010 16:41, David T. Lewis wrote:
>> If anyone has any specific information as to the root cause of the libuuid
>> bug, I'd appreciate if you can update the bug report here:
>>
>>   http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7358
>>
>> I had previously tried to summarize as follows:
>>
>>> The bug exists in some versions of libuuid on some Linux distributions.
>>> The workaround is to compile the plugin internal. The latest versions
>>> of Unix VM have the plugin compiled internally, although some users may
>>> still experience problems if they have a leftover external plugin from
>>> a prior installation.
>>
>> But it's not clear if this is accurate given the recent reports here.
>> In particular, if a precompiled Cog VM with the UUID plugin compiled
>> internally leads to a crash, then the above is not a sufficient
>> workaround (at least not on Cog).
>>
>> If we are seeing crashes on Cog with an internal UUID plugin, but
>> not on the traditional VM with an internal UUID plugin, then I think
>> I smell a pthread related issue.
>
> How can I find out whether the plugin is compiled internally or not?

The crash report lists the loaded plugins. If the plugin name ends with
(i), then it's internal, if it ends with (e), then it's external. If
you're using Eliot's build, then it's external.
If you just want a working VM and the quality of UUIDs doesn't matter,
then you can safely delete the UUIDPlugin from the lib/squeak/3.9-7/
directory.

> What I see in the console is the following:
>
> Segmentation fault
>

> Smalltalk stack dump:
> 0xff79f344 M UUID>initialize -1045926312: a(n) UUID
> 0xff79f35c M UUID class(Behavior)>new: -1246728604: a(n) UUID class
> 0xff79f380 I UUID class>new -1246728604: a(n) UUID class

> Most recent primitives
> withArgs:executeMethod:
> basicNew:
> primMakeUUID
>
> Is there a way to provide more information?

The stack dump looks the same as what other people have. The version of
your linux might be helpful, so others can reproduce the issue if you
don't want to debug it yourself.

Levente