[Pharo-project] Another fixes to finalization (was Re: [update 1.2] #12161 - #12172)

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Mon Oct 4 16:26:28 EDT 2010

<henrik.s.johansen at veloxit.no> wrote:
>  On 04.10.2010 21:47, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>>
>> On 4 October 2010 22:09, Stéphane Ducasse<stephane.ducasse at inria.fr>
>>  wrote:
>>>
>>> so let us know in the bug entry what is the conclusion :)
>>>
>> I think someone should verify my benchmarks i.e.
>>
>> [ self loadsomething ] timeToRun
>>
>> before and after patch.
>>
>> And conclusion is better be written by Henrik, because he's having
>> concerns about speed,
>> while i don't. :)
>
> I already have:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1628#c13

emm.. wait.
WeakKeyDict should not delete associations with nil-ed keys
automatically, because otherwise
you won't be able to use it in weak finalization scheme.

There is two distinct use cases of weak-key dicts:
a) for weak finalization
b) for attaching some extra info(value) per object(key), which can be
automatically discarded once object become garbage

so, while in case (b) you can mercilessly kill/reuse associations with
nil keys, once they discovered
in case (a) you should preserve them until there is explicit request
from outside to finalize values.

The need in (a), apparently prohibits from using (b) in most efficient manner.
So, i think, the solution would be to introduce a specialized weak-key
dicts, which can work much better for (b).

Squeak's implementation works well in both cases.

Levente

> Cheers,
> Henry

Best regards,