[Pharo-project] Ocean (was Re: Less plugins, more Smalltalk code! (was: Re: Pharo 1.1.1 OneClickCogVm))

Schwab,Wilhelm K bschwab at anest.ufl.edu
Mon Oct 4 14:41:40 EDT 2010

+1

-----Original Message-----
From: pharo-project-bounces at lists.gforge.inria.fr [mailto:pharo-project-bounces at lists.gforge.inria.fr] On Behalf Of Sven Van Caekenberghe
Sent: Monday, October 04, 2010 9:51 AM
To: Pharo-project at lists.gforge.inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Pharo-project] Ocean (was Re: Less plugins, more Smalltalk code! (was: Re: Pharo 1.1.1 OneClickCogVm))

Noury,

One of the other aspects that I find important is elementary efficiency.

A lot of stream related code in Smalltalk is not efficient, the actual data is copied around like crazy, turning it from a stream to a collection and then back into a stream multiple times. For Zinc HTTP Components I made a lot of effort to make it possible to read data from a socket stream in true streaming fashion (instead of just returning a byte array). Now, the idea was then that for example JPEGReadWriter>>#nextImage would work transparaently on that raw stream. Sadly, the code in JPEGReadWriter and friends just reads everything into an array before it starts to work !

But OK, maybe this is easier said than done. The step from Smalltalk to system call should also not copy if that is possible, but then FFI and GC come into play.

Anyway, good luck, I am willing to try using Ocean as soon as it becomes available.

Sven