[Pharo-project] Ocean (was Re: Less plugins, more Smalltalk code! (was: Re: Pharo 1.1.1 OneClickCogVm))

Noury Bouraqadi bouraqadi at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 04:59:30 EDT 2010

On 3 oct. 2010, at 16:28, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> For Ocean to succeed, you either have to work really hard to make non-blocking calls (I'm thinking of SSL sockets), or you need the ability to call functions on OS threads.  The calls need to block their calling Process and let the other Processes run as though nothing is happening.

You're right.
Another option is having a multi-threaded VM. Eliot seem to work on it.
So far we're working on cleaning up the design of basic functionalities before going on.
Then, we'll try to find a workaround for non-blocking calls.
All ideas are welcome :-)

BTW, some people (you included) proposed to help for the Ocean project.
Luc and I want to thank you and we are happy that others are willing to help.
We thought about the best way to integrate others help.
Our conclusion is that we should first do alone (luc and me) the reference design, before integrating other developers.
So, we all can work on solid foudations.

Noury