[Pharo-project] Metacello Configuration Browser?

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Sun Oct 3 14:18:13 EDT 2010

2010/10/3 Guillermo Polito <guillermopolito at gmail.com>

> 2010/10/3 Mariano Martinez Peck <marianopeck at gmail.com>
>

>> 2010/9/28 Simon Denier <Simon.Denier at inria.fr>
>>

>>> On 28 sept. 2010, at 21:30, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>>>
>>> What I would love is a UI for GoferProjectLoader from Esteban. I mean, we
>>> have the apt-get but we need now synaptic :)
>>>
>>> And....if we plan to do what I say in the email about Pharo and
>>> Metacello, having something like that is very, VERY useful. From my point of
>>> view, even more than a Metacello browser.
>>>

>>> That's too different usages, which are complementary: GoferProjectLoader
>>> is for end-users,
>>>

>> yes!
>>

>>> while I'm thinking more of a browser for developers, when they have to
>>> create a new release and check there configuration is consistent. Right now
>>> it's quite a pain, ask Jannik who did the 4.1 Moose :)
>>>

> Yes, you Simon got it right :).  I want a button ( :P ) to create a
> configuration for a package.  I want it to look for dependant packages,
> allow me to write pre load and post load scripts.  And let me upload it to
> the right monticello metacello reporsitory.  So we can automate this ugly
> configuration stuff.
>

>> ahhhhh got it ;)
>>
>> so...the question is...why not improving Metacello-OB instead?
>>

> How can I get it?  I would like to have a tool running in the core image,
> but maybe that's not the right approach.

When you load a Metacello conf in a image where Metacello is not present,
the automatic Metacello bootstrap will load only the core, as it should.
However, you can explictly load the UI. Check the ConfigurationOfMetacello
and you will see a group 'UI'.

To install:

ConfigurationOfMetacello project latestVersion load: #('UI'
'Metacello-Core')

In Pharo 1.1.1 I already install those packages of Metacello. You will see
the package OB-Metacello.

But I have never use it.

Here is some info

http://code.google.com/p/metacello/wiki/MetacelloTools

In my 1.2 Core I have a MetacelloConfigurationBrowser, where I can browse
> the configurations in MetaRepoForPharo12 in squeaksource.

Why not improving that?  If not, why do we have this browser??? Are the
> alternatives Simon mentioned all the ones we have?  We should unify the
> solutions to gather all the power that is disperse right now in 2 or 3
> different solutions.

yes, please. I would like that people join eforce in this topic.

cheers

mariano