[Pharo-project] Source in image [WAS] Re: [Pharo-users] Distributing 'minimal' image

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 16:31:17 EDT 2010

On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 8:26 AM, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1 October 2010 08:48, Mariano Martinez Peck <marianopeck at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >

> > On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 11:07 PM, Johan Fabry <jfabry at dcc.uchile.cl>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I am planning to put online a minimal image that contains AspectMaps,
> with
> >> some models pre-loaded. Two questions:
> >> - Is there an easy way to strip this image of dev tools et cetera?
> >
> > Not really. The easiest way is to have a Configuration of Metacello that
> > takes care of loading all your code with all your dependencies. Then,
> take a
> > PharoCore and load your code there.
> > In addition, you may want to evaluate "ScriptLoader cleanUpForProduction"
> at
> > the end. Check the method to see what it does.
> >

> >> - How can I make it so that I can distribute it without the changes
> file?
> >> (Right now the image complains of a missing changes file if it is not
> there
> >> ...)
> >>

> > I am aware of "Smalltalk abandonSources"  to avoid using .sources. You
> won't
> > see things like the temp names, and stuff will be decompiled instead.
>
> With a little effort, you can embed source code into method trailers.
> Then you won't need .sources nor .chanes to see the real source
> instead of decompiling it.
> But you will loose method stamps.

I WOULD LOVE that. I mean, I don't care if the dev image is 10 mb bigger, if
I will improve performance since I don't need to fetch a .sources file.
what would be awesome is if we can have both, this is: for the dev image, I
would like to have the sources in the image, but not for PharoCore. Or maybe
also in PharoCore but to be sure to be able to remove them, and use
.sources/decompiler as it is now. Maybe put that in #cleanUpForProduction or
similar.

thoughts?