[Pharo-project] haltOnce and haltOnCount

Hernan Wilkinson hernan.wilkinson at 10pines.com
Fri Oct 1 14:07:46 EDT 2010

ah, ok, I imagine that but what it was a bit of a surprise for me is that it
is implemented in Object... I mean, I know that halt is also implemented in
Object and it is the natural place to implement those messages, but if we
want to build a "modular" system, messages like halt, error, etc should be
removed from Object and seeing that Object is growing in its
responsibilities with these messages I think that goes against that path...
of course, if you decided that the trade off deserves it, fine by me...
I was thinking that halt for example could be implemented in MethodContext
(or ContextPart) so you can write something like "thisContext halt" and not
couple Object with Halt (of course we would be coupling MethodContext with
Halt, but it is a smaller coupling)... or just remove halt as a message and
force everybody to just write "Halt signal" of "Halt signalOnce" etc. I
mean, why Object implements halt? I know it is handy to do "self halt" but
also as handy as "Halt signal"... the only reason I see to implement halt in
Object is the possibility for any subclass to override that message, but I
haven't seen that in my years of smalltalker...

Anyway, just a late's Friday thought :-)

PS: A #haltIf: aBlock message would be handy too :-)

site: http://www.10Pines.com <http://www.10pines.com/>*