[Pharo-project] TextLint questions and feedback

Jorge Ressia jorge.ressia at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 05:51:07 EDT 2010

Hi,

We did a change in the way the files are opened.
We could not reproduce the same issue but we could manage to reproduce
other encoding issues.
So, please try your file again and let us know.

Cheers,

2010/9/30 Mariano Martinez Peck <marianopeck at gmail.com>:

> On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 5:13 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck
> <marianopeck at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Sorry, I forgot another bug. A piece of my latex is like this:
>>
>> \authorinfo{
>>     Mariano Martinez Peck\affINRIA\affEMD \and
>>      Noury Bouraqadi\affEMD \and
>>      Marcus Denker\affINRIA \and
>>      St\'ephane Ducasse\affINRIA \and
>>      Luc Fabresse\affEMD
>> }{
>>     $^1$RMoD Project-Team, Inria Lille--Nord Europe / Universit\'e Lille 1
>> \\
>>     $^2$Universit\'e Lille Nord de France, Ecole des Mines de Douai
>> }{marianopeck at gmail.com,
>> \{stephane.ducasse,marcus.denker\}@inria.fr,\\\{noury.bouraqadi,luc.fabresse\}@mines-douai.fr}
>> \maketitle
>>

>> I don't know why...but once I saved the file, the image "frezzed" for a
>> long time, and then, if finished and that part was replaced by this:
>>

>> \authorinfo{
>>     Mariano Martinez Peck\affINRIA\affEMD \and
>>      Noury Bouraqadi\affEMD \and
>>      Marcus Denker\affINRIA \and
>>      St\'ephane Ducasse\affINRIA \and
>>      Luc Fabresse\affEMD
>> }{
>>     $^1$RMoD Project-Team, Inria Lille--Nord Europe /
>> Université
>> de Lille 1 \\
>>     $^2$Universit\'e Lille Nord de France, Ecole des Mines de Douai
>> }{marianopeck at gmail.com,
>> \{stephane.ducasse,marcus.denker\}@inria.fr,\\\{noury.bouraqadi,luc.fabresse\}@mines-douai.fr}
>> \maketitle
>>

> Hi.  TextLint is being used now even for non-smalltalkers :)
> Here my coworker is using it for his papers. THe problem he had, is the same
> as mine. Without trying to do it, we put accents characters like é or è or
> things like that in the TextLint pane. I don't know why but TextLint starts
> to loop and writes all those characters (for example É√ɬ) a lot of times.
> For example, the file of my friend, went to 5MB!!!
>
> I know this is not TextLint fault, and probably Pharo, but avoiding this
> would be great.
>
> Cheers
>
> Mariano
>

>> So...it seems something related to encoding...but no idea...
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> mariano
>>

>> On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 3:42 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck
>> <marianopeck at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi. First, please let me know if this is the correct place to talk about
>>> TextLint. I've just used for one paper I am writing and I have some
>>> questions/feedback. I am using the one click image.
>>>
>>> 1) The "An Rule" could be a little more smart and detects commands. For
>>> example, in my latex I have " an \emph{inner object}"  and that was detected
>>> by the rule, althought I shouldn't. So...detecting the slash and ignore what
>>> it surrounded by {} would be nice for this rule.
>>>
>>> 2) When I edit the code inside TextLint and I save it, two bad things
>>> happens:
>>>      2.a)  I lost focus of the text, as it moves when it finishing
>>> saving. The line I edited goes to the end of the text area. It would be
>>> great if nothing moves nor to loose focus when saving.
>>>      2.b) sometimes (I cannot reproduce) the order of the rules
>>> changes...and this is not good because I was going in order, one by one, and
>>> suddenly they are re-ordered. Maybe you are using a Set for that? using a
>>> simple OrderedCollection could help.
>>>
>>> 3) If you edit the text (and it differs in the amount of characters), and
>>> DO NOT save it, the following color highlighting are moved. It seems you
>>> keep the position in the file, and until it is saved, rules results are
>>> pointing to "unupdated" file. Of course, when I save the file, they are
>>> correct. I guess this is from a performance point of view, but maybe you
>>> have a little hack to do and make it better.
>>>
>>> 4) The rule "no white space before punctuation mark" showed me things I
>>> didn't understand. For example, it says this line there is a "," (comma) :
>>>
>>> \item[ Shared object ]   In the case of the \emph{shared objects}, it is
>>> almost the same as in the \emph{inner objects}. An .....
>>>
>>> 5) Rules comments clearer. For example, when you say "Avoid using a lot,
>>> it weakens the sentence"  It would be better to put "Avoid using "a lot", it
>>> weakens the sentence"
>>> or "Avoid using *a lot*, it weakens the sentence"
>>> or something to clearly mark the words not to use. Because sometimes the
>>> words are confused with the context. Or this one:
>>>
>>> "After an only words beginning with a vowel are allowed. "
>>> should be "After "an" only words beginning with a vowel are allowed."
>>>
>>> 6) For the rules of long sentences/paragraph it would be nice to ignore
>>> \fotenote{}
>>>
>>> 7) Maybe this link is of interest for you:
>>> http://matt.might.net/articles/shell-scripts-for-passive-voice-weasel-words-duplicates/
>>>
>>> Apart from all these things, the tool is very useful and I like it.
>>>
>>> thanks
>>>
>>> Mariano

Jorge Ressia
www.jorgeressia.com