[Pharo-project] databases

Gabriel Brunstein gaboto at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 09:44:52 EST 2010

I didn´t know the advantages and disadvantages of Gemstone over Magma, I've
found http://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/2009/03/09/why-glass/ with this
comment:

"Denis, the most obvious difference is that magma is used from a smalltalk
image (squeak, pharo,…) as a database add-on. Gemstone _is_ the database and
the image you run.

In gemstone even the system classes are in the image that are persistent.
Some parts of gemstone oodb are built in a native language. They are
optimized in more traditional way for the speed of objects acquiry. Magma is
done in pure smalltalk and should therefor be really flexible in what you
can do with it.

>From the programming side they aren’t that different. You build your object
graph in both and you need to attach this graph somewhere that it doesn’t
get garbage collected. In Magma you have one database root where you attach
your stuff. In Gemstone you can attach things just everywhere because
everything is part of the persistent things.

I don’t know both that well. But Magma you can download and there you go. It
is just a piece of software you load and you have a OO persistence layer.
This is very good for deploying along with an image. I never tested to use
magma as a server. Lately magma came up with some cool features like
distributed databases, offline objects and high availability. I like to do
some stuff with it.

On the other hand gemstone you must deploy in more server like environment.
It eats a certain amount of your memory. But you get a server that performs
really well, has proven scalability, cares more about security and user
based data separation. It is something fast and solid for me. With the
remote debugging features it is the ideal database for my purposes so that
were the reasons to choose it.

I hope this helps you little bit in understanding. Magma and gemstone are in
principal the same: they are OODBS. But for me the usage scenarios are
completely different."

what do you think about it? maybe you can include something of that.