[Pharo-project] DateAndTime and TimeStamp precision

Miguel Enrique Cobá Martinez miguel.coba at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 14:20:42 EST 2010

El vie, 12-02-2010 a las 20:08 +0100, Mariano Martinez Peck escribió:
> I have no idea. I just remember this discussion:
>
> http://n4.nabble.com/Nanosecond-level-profiling-in-Pharo-td1296771.html#a1296771

Thanks I remember reading something about in the list but couldn't find
it anymore.
Now, by reading it, people are talking about nanoseconds granularity. I
don't want that level of granularity, but only to differentiate between
two consecutive calls to

time1 := DateAndTime now.
time2 := DateAndTime now.
self assert: [ (time2 - time1) > 0 ]

I really don't care the specific granularity, only to be able to
distinguish the creation of two objects without using an artificial
delay between both creations.

Or is this something not reasonable?

Or how can I timestamp a lot of objects created in a loop inside the
image?

cheers

> 2010/2/12 Miguel Enrique Cobá Martinez <miguel.coba at gmail.com>
>         I am noticing that both
>
>         DateAndTime now
>         TimeStamp now
>
>         have a precision of seconds, that is, the nanos is always 0.
>
>         I am doing a bulk data creation and inserting them in a list
>         with a
>         timestamp for each insertion but this isn't working because
>         several
>         entries have the very same DateAndTime or Timestamp.
>
>         For example:
>
>         {DateAndTime. TimeStamp } collect: [ :class |
>                | list |
>                list := OrderedCollection new.
>                1 to: 1000 do: [ :each |
>                        value := class now.
>                        list add: value ].
>                list last - list first ]
>
>         gives an Array(0:00:00:00 0:00:00:00)
>
>         How can achieve smaller than a second timestamping in Pharo?
>         --
>         Miguel Cobá
>         http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Miguel Cobá