[Pharo-project] Introducing Myself / FFI comments

csrabak at bol.com.br csrabak at bol.com.br
Sun Feb 28 14:53:13 EST 2010

I would like to add to this discussion.

The issue on "breaking code compatibility" /per se/ it is not the central issue, the real trouble is to have to expend too much time to learn how to "re-compatibilize" the cote, or use [the] new construct that is not deprecated.

I'm not an active Python developer, but I used to work in a place where it was used extensively and the 'elbow' feedback I got from colleagues was that that Python did a good job on this aspect.

my 0.01999....

--
Cesar Rabak

Em 28/02/2010 05:24, Hilaire Fernandes < hilaire at ofset.org > escreveu:
Andreas Raab a écrit :

> The *one* tradeoff I wasn't willing to make for the sake of my users was
> to break their code; was to make their code non-loadable for absolutely
> no benefit for these users. Cleaning up two methods and fifty lines of
> code isn't worth breaking six years of work from lots of people. It
> wasn't then, it isn't today.

However, breaking code compatibility is very common in opensource world,
probably to ease evolution.
I remember to read somewhere it happens several time in Python, an alive
and kicking community...