[Pharo-project] About changes and so on: Authorize - at any position in binary selectors (like VW 7.7)

Stéphane Ducasse stephane.ducasse at inria.fr
Wed Feb 24 02:25:23 EST 2010

After the lengthly discussion about the fact that Smalltalk implementation is a balkan region
(cf "what Pharo/squeak do not parse 16rFF)

> Authorize - at any position in binary selectors (like VW 7.7)
> See http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=3616
> Address the problem of compiling 1 at -2 with following strategy:
>
> If compiler is non interactive, then compile with backward compatibility 1 @ (-2).
> If compiler is interactive, propose a menu to disambiguate and insert a proper space.
> 1@ -2 -> MessageSend receiver: 1 selector: #'@' argument: -2
> 1 at - 2 -> MessageSend receiver: 1 selector: #'@-' argument: 2
>
> Warning: Squeak did understand (1 at -   2) as (1 @ (-2))....
> I didn't do anything to support this vicious Squeakism, and by now the semantics are change.

I was wondering what do we do with that kind of changes.
	Is it useful?
	what is the end user case?
	what are the binary operators that we could invent with -~- -| -@
	nicolas do you have a case in mind?