[Pharo-project] Metacello --- How to make sure that we will be able to load... in 3 years from now

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 10:35:41 EST 2010

> and with that I did not mean to "use" those other DVCS but maybe take ideas
> from them :)

This is not a problem any DVCS tackles. Rather take ideas of package
management systems like aptitude, rpm, portage, fink, ... As you see
in all such system, they ship the code (binary or source) together
with the package definition. None of these mechanisms refer to the VCS
where the code is developed, but they include all the dependencies
they need.

I was thinking more along of something of a SAR file that would
include the Metacello configuration and all the referenced mcz files
in one file. Dragging and dropping that file onto the image (or using
some GUI) would bootstrap Metacello, execute the Metacello definition,
and if necessary download and pull in other SAR files from a well
known place. That's how Linux works quite successful for over a
decade.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli