[Pharo-project] Trying to build alien plugin in linux

Torsten Bergmann astares at gmx.de
Tue Feb 23 04:51:44 EST 2010

Havent followed this thread and currently lacking some time.
The VMMaker config is changeable, so go ahead.

Take care that it also works in latest Squeak trunk.
Since most VM maintainers use Squeak to build the VM this is
essential to follow their progress.

Would also be a great move if Alien would be available on Windows -
this would open the door to interfacing with Win technologies like
COM or .NET (and therefore wake more commercial interest in Pharo).
Having Alien on major OS platforms would also allow to use Smalltalk<->
Java bridging technologies like JavaConnect/JNIPort,

Bye
T.

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 10:08:55 +0100
> Von: Mariano Martinez Peck <marianopeck at gmail.com>
> An: Pharo-project at lists.gforge.inria.fr
> CC: Arnaud Jean-Baptiste <jbaptiste.arnaud at gmail.com>, Torsten Bergmann <astares at gmx.de>
> Betreff: Re: [Pharo-project] Trying to build alien plugin in linux

> Torsten and JB: it would be cool to create a new metacello configuration
> version with this new version of VMMaker, puting the fix about the
> baseHeaderSize and integrating JB fixes to VMMaker.
>
> Cheers
>
> Mariano
>
> On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 7:55 AM, Fernando olivero
> <oliverof at lu.unisi.ch>wrote:

> > error while loading it:

> > > Well it seems to be related to
> > >
> > >       ((Smalltalk includesKey: #ObjectMemory)
> > >        and: [((Smalltalk at: #ObjectMemory) classPool at: #ClassAlien
> > ifAbsent: []) ~~ (index - 1)]) ifTrue:
> > >               [self error: 'index probably wrong'].
> > >
> > > Usually people don't have ObjectMemory loaded in their image, and I"m
> not
> > sure what it is check for.
> > > Why don't you try it in a regular Pharo image versus your VMMaker
> image.
> >
> > Great work Jorge! Nice to know you won the battle against VMMaker!
> >
> > The ensure in special objects array error, has to do with some missing
> > classes as John pointed out.
> >
> > The smalltalk special objects array has hardcoded indexes for some
> relevant
> > classes ( Globals) in the system.
> > In the alien configuration i've just ensured that the size should be 53,
> > before loading Alien, because the Alien code installs itself in that
> array
> > at positions 54 and 55.

NEU: Mit GMX DSL über 1000,- ¿ sparen!
http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/dsl02