[Pharo-project] Using software engineering practices and tools

Stéphane Ducasse stephane.ducasse at inria.fr
Tue Feb 16 13:20:00 EST 2010

> - Integration server
> any more thoughts on hardware ?

I do not know.
I will check with Moose people to know their hudson setup.

> -Bug tracking
> i'm pretty sure we can edit the issues via SVN. I think we would need
> https support for the svn client that was written for squeak, or do it
> via cmd line / OSProcess.

I do not know if the google api require svn to script it.

> -to publish code on code.google.com
> what is your vision?
> we could push out 'Metacello definitions' (whatever that would look
> like) via SVN but we would have a dependency on the SVN client. we
> could also push the update stream out in SVN as well.

Why on code.google.com?
For me metacello on squeaksource or something like that is ok.

> whilst we are on the subject of visions a comment Lukas made about git
> style forking of repositories / pushing changes upstream was really
> interesting.   what would happen if we had a tree of maintainers who
> each are responsible for parts of the system with their own MC repos,
> and change works its way up the tree in a controlled manner. I
> wondered if that would scale over the longer term rather than the
> single inbox model we have at the moment? especially as we want to
> break the image into more & more packages... what do you think? it is
> just an idle thought at the moment.

the problem is with crosscutting changes and their synchronisation.
It can only work if the maintainer are pulling merging actively.