[Pharo-project] web services, pharo

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 04:18:55 EST 2010

2010/2/14 laurent laffont <laurent.laffont at gmail.com>

> 2010/2/14 Mariano Martinez Peck <marianopeck at gmail.com>
>
>> Incredible. Clap clap clap!
>>

> ^o^
>

>> Let me say that I really like your screencast and every time I see them, I
>> learn.
>

> Me too while recording :) I hope other people will contribute....

Sure they will. At least giving ideas. Take as an example the ProfStef. Now,
it is included in PharoDev. GLASS did their tutorials with it. Danny build a
cool browser for it. Torsten build a HelpSyste. Etc etc etc...

Here is my contribution. I have more ideas :)

1) I would like a screencast to demostrate how to use Monticello and
SqueakSource. We can take as an example, and reuse the PicasaAPI project.
Little ideas:
- Create the package in Monticello Browser
- Create a user in squeaksource
- create the project in squeaksource
- commit it
- see changes
- merge
- take a clean image and load

2)  I would like a screencast to demostrate how to build a Metacello
configuration and load it. We can take as an example, and reuse the
PicasaAPI project. Little ideas, altough maybe they can be split:

- Demonstrate how hard is to load your project in a clean image. You have to
install all dependencies by hand, you don't know which versions, and you
don't know what packages to load. This point can be even part of 1)
- Show how to create a new Metacello configuration.
- Commit it to MonticelloRepository
- How to load it in another clean image

3)  Advanced Metacello:  show how to create and load groups, project
references, etc. You can also show Metacello OB tools and Metaceller

4) This is boring but useful. A screencast that shows how to open an issue.
It would be really cool to do it with a real bug. You can record how to
reproduce the bug in the image, then how to search in issue tracker and open
the issue. The idea is to show all these steps:

http://www.pharo-project.org/community/issue-tracking

5) This is boring but useful. A screencast that shows how to commit. If it
is only one package, just that to inbox, if there are several projects, how
to create a slice package and use the "dirty packages" trick, etc...  Again,
it would be really cool if it can be a real commit. Even better, if it is a
fix for 4)
The idea is to show all these steps:

http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/HowToContribute

Ok....those are all the ideas I have for the moment :)

Thanks for you excellent work.

Mariano