[Pharo-project] Making FFI non-intrusive (Was: Re: Pharo changing the game)

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 00:37:38 EST 2010

On 12 February 2010 15:09, Lukas Renggli <renggli at gmail.com> wrote:
>> It is interesting to note that of course, after this was added to 3.9, there was
>> someone *very hard* arguing that adding Pragmas was a very dumb idea...
>>
>> Who that person was is left as an exercise to the reader of course ;-)
>
> Hint: FFI has its own proprietary hardcoded pragma format. It
> unnecessary complicates the compiler even when not loaded. Not to
> mention that it breaks all tools that have their own parser, such as
> RB for example.

I'd like to discuss, what changes to compiler we may introduce to allow FFI
to handle pragmas in non-intrusive manner.
I suppose something, like registration mechanism for compiler, where
any external package can
register and provide own handler(s) for pragmas.
Then, of course, an Encoder should have a public API, which would
allow such handlers to add/change literals
and method header.

We already having at least another use of pragmas - preferences. It's
also could use same mechanism which can
be used to notify a preferences system about appearance of new or
removal existing preferences as a result of method compilation.

> Lukas
>
> --
> Lukas Renggli
> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch