[Pharo-project] ProfStef

Torsten Bergmann astares at gmx.de
Fri Feb 12 04:46:12 EST 2010

Hi,

I like the "browser" version of ProfStef more than the simple "workspace"
based version. Especially since it allows us to provide more tutorials
in the dev image just by loading.

The tutorial browser could be one access point (accessible from world
menu) and is extensible by loading a  package with an own tutorial
(like Metacello, ...)

Unfortunately "ConfigurationOfProfStef" currently only uses
the simple workspace version.

What's the plan here?

A vision for the future:
 - a generalized help system maybe similar to what we know from Eclipse
   [1], KDE [2], or Windows [3]
 - nested tutorials with deeper structure than (currently) one
 - the ability to use "help" in a tool which opens a
   specific chapter and show people how to use Monticello, TestRunner, ...
 - tutorials/help descriptions managed like code
   (no pointers to outdated wiki pages from Squeak)
 - an active help system with live code samples and maybe based on
   a cleaned up Bookmorph? ;)

We are already halfway there, arent we?

Thx
T.