[Pharo-project] DirectoryEntry does not inherit from ArrayedCollection [WAS] Re: [squeak-dev] 3.11 questions

Schwab,Wilhelm K bschwab at anest.ufl.edu
Wed Feb 3 11:03:17 EST 2010

Marcus,

Rats :)  You've stolen my thunder.  Actually, I won't go as far as to say "never," but I agree.  There are places in Squeak that inherit from collections or put methods in Object, and it sure looks as though the programmer didn't know any better.  In fairness, it might have been intended to minimize the chance of runtime errors.  Think about it: by wrongly inheriting from OrderedCollection, one is freed from having to delegate its methods (it's not correct, but can seem wise to a beginner or expedient an experienced programmer with poor tools).  Mess around with the internals of the user interface, and sliding a method up the hierarchy can avoid a meltdown.  These things were all the more true before the days of exception handling.

By all means, we should fix these things as we find them.

Bill