[Pharo-project] [ANN] VM for closures on pharo web site

Bryce Kampjes bryce at kampjes.demon.co.uk
Tue Mar 31 17:16:21 EDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-03-31 at 19:03 -0100, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

>    The Exupery VMs have closures. You can use them on both Windows and
>         Linux. I released them here to help people test the image
>         without
>         needing to compile their own VMs.
>
> Ok, so, I didn't understood what you said:
>
> "P.S. Don't use Exupery in a closure image, that'll probably crash.
> The
> issue is both Exupery and closures use the "unused" slot in
> MethodContext. I'll update Exupery to work with closure images as part
> of the next release."

I was afraid that mentioning that would cause confusion. Exupery is a
JIT written in Smalltalk, the compiler runs as a normal Smalltalk
process in the image just like any other Smalltalk code. It needs a VM
with a few hooks to allow the native code it generates to be executed.
The VMs I provide have both those hooks and the closure bytecodes.
Support for both Exupery and closures is in the VMs.

Exupery itself is a normal Monticello package which is available via
SqueakSource or Universes, if you haven't loaded it and started it then
there is no risk.

Bryce