[Pharo-project] Better documenting and consistency

Serge Stinckwich serge.stinckwich at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 05:14:23 EDT 2009

On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 12:51 AM, Robert Peters <thewinterlion at gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree with this sentiment.  I have been trying to learn Smalltalk with the help of 'Squeak by Example', but while it is a good read, it is almost useless as a reference.

You mean a book with a list of all the classes and methods ? The
problem is that this list depends on the classes loaded in your image.

> When I have a Python issue, I type (for example), "initialize multi-dimensional array Python" into Google and get 14,000 responses.  Replace 'Python' with 'Smalltalk' and I get 2,000, most of which aren't about Smalltalk, and I still haven't found a code example.

You need something like a Smalltalk cookbook ?

> There are a number of books on-line, but some don't even have tables of contents or indexes, and they're all in .pdf, which makes them extremely cumbersome to use as references.
>
> I, of course, only speak for myself, but I am officially closing my current foray into Smalltalk.  It's too hard to learn.  There's not adequate reference material.  There are very few code examples.

In fact the examples are inside a Smalltak image. You have to explore
and learn by reading the code.

> If, at some point in the future, Smalltalk becomes easier to learn, I will try again.  Until then, I'm going back to Python.

The main problem is that the Smalltalk community is much smaller than
the Python, so it's more difficult to find people who are able to
wrote tutorials and books. People like Stéphane and others have
already great efforts to wrote books like "Squeak by Example",
"Squeak: learn programming with robots", ... Most of these books are
available freely on the web. Ask also the publishers to publish
Smalltalk books. They just want to publish mainstream stuff ...

> I mentioned on the Pharo IRC channel that I was a Django developer, and would consider building a site to assist with getting the material inside these books onto the web, and I will continue to think about that.  If there's any interest, please let me know.

Most of the book are available as pdf files but you need the authors
and editors permissions to diffuse them in another format.
Maybe some of there is no copyright issues with some of the books, we
can make some wikibooks from them.

Best regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich