[Pharo-project] [Fwd: Re: [ANN] Preference pragmas]

Norbert Hartl norbert at hartl.name
Fri Mar 6 05:59:51 EST 2009

On Fri, 2009-03-06 at 05:20 -0500, Matthew Fulmer wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 06, 2009 at 10:36:13AM +0100, Alain Plantec wrote:
> > themePreference
> >     <preference>
> >     ^ ThemePreference
> >         ifNil: [ThemePreference := MultiplePreferenceValue
> >                         name: 'UITheme'
> >                         parent: #uiPreferenceNode
> >                         type: #UITheme
> >                         default: UIThemeWatery2
> >                         values: {
> >                             FixedPreferenceValue
> >                                 name: 'Standard Squeak'
> >                                 type: #UITheme
> >
> >                                 value: UIThemeStandardSqueak.
> >                             FixedPreferenceValue
> >                                 name: 'Watery 2'
> >                                 type: #UITheme
> >                                 value: UIThemeWatery2}]
>
> You're really just inventing a half-baked Magritte now. Do
> yourself a favor and use the real thing. Magritte is far more
> descriptive and far less verbose than anything you have yet
> presented. Magritte also already knows how to automatically create both
> seaside and morphic forms out of a field description. It also
> knows more ways to look up a field than just selector and block.

I don't think so. This is a definition of composite value model. The
value model does not need to reflect the structure of the objects
that use those preferences. Magritte on the other side would describe
the other model as it is a meta-model description. And Magritte is a
lot more heavy weight. So while it looks similar I can't see what you
are telling.
But you could use Magritte to describe this model ad then generate
a UI out of it ;)

Norbert