[Pharo-project] Xtreams?

Stefan Schmiedl s at xss.de
Mon Jan 12 14:26:41 EST 2009

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 18:33:33 +0100
"Michael Rueger" <m.rueger at acm.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> does anybody have any experience or opinion about the Xtreams
> framework? Haven't looked at it yet, saw it mentioned here
> http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/mls/blogView?showComments=true&printTitle=Parsing_Expression_Grammars&entry=3409164946
>
> and it seems to have a Java impementation as well.

I have not really used it, but a while ago I compared various
serialization frameworks (BOSS, SRP, SIXX) in VisualWorks,
see http://www.parcplace.net/list/vwnc-archive/0805/msg00186.html

Michael Lucas-Smith then privately asked me to try and run
the code with the then-current version of Xtreams. I had to
(trivially) patch unmarshalling for Sets and then ran some
tests comparing the three binary serializers BOSS, SRP, Xtreams.
The numbers below each block are the results reported by
printing the invocations four times in a row each.

|td|
ObjectMemory garbageCollect.
td := TestData new.
Time millisecondsToRun: [10000 timesRepeat: [ td saveToBytesBos ]]
 8339 8387 8328 8631

|td|
ObjectMemory garbageCollect.
td := TestData new.
Time millisecondsToRun: [10000 timesRepeat: [ td saveToBytesSrp ]]
 1969 1995 1953 1958

|td|
ObjectMemory garbageCollect.
td := TestData new.
Time millisecondsToRun: [10000 timesRepeat: [ td saveToBytesXtreams ]]
 1113 1086 1089 1089

|td dump|
ObjectMemory garbageCollect.
td := TestData new.
dump := TestData new saveToBytesBos.
Time millisecondsToRun: [10000 timesRepeat: [ td loadFromBytesBos: dump ]]
 2405 2465 2372 2491

|td dump|
ObjectMemory garbageCollect.
td := TestData new.
dump := TestData new saveToBytesSrp.
Time millisecondsToRun: [10000 timesRepeat: [ td loadFromBytesSrp: dump ]]
 2228 2247 2278 2282

|td dump|
ObjectMemory garbageCollect.
td := TestData new.
dump := TestData new saveToBytesXtreams.
Time millisecondsToRun: [10000 timesRepeat: [ td loadFromBytesXtreams: dump ]]
 1817 1845 1861 1838

HTH,
s.