[Pharo-project] new look / monticello UI

Gary Chambers gazzaguru2 at btinternet.com
Mon Jan 12 09:27:47 EST 2009

There is a newer version of Polymorph-Tools-Diff on SqueakSource that tidies
some things up (including not merging when window closed if no conflicts.
This was original MC behaviour that was replicated).

As for modality... since MC uses a notification to spawn conflict resolution
the window must be modal in some way. The original behaviour was to
effecively run a local Morphic event loop at the point of spawning. Multiple
merge/conflict windows could be opened though the merge order would always
be last-first. IMHO it is not a good idea to be merging multiple things at
once since the basis for a merge may have changed due to later merges,
leading to potentially odd results. I'll stand by the modality, though I may
be convinced to make it window modal rather than system modal, allowing
those who want to invite chaos to do so ;-) Since Polymorph utilises
ToolBuilder>>runModal: this would be effectively the same behaviour (local
event loop).

The (work-in-progress) arrows/tick/crosss on the splitter are now disabled
if anything other than a conflict is selected. Note that only conflicts
allow selection of keeping-current/using-incoming anyway.

Still digging away at working out what can be achieved with MC. Looks like
it may be possible to have alternate source either typed or composited from
individual differences in the case of a conflict that is also a
modification. Going to try stuffing new source in the "remote" (incoming)
definition and see what happens!

Sadly I don't think I can do anything for removals/additions (when a method
changes package it comes up as a removal).

I'm going to add titles to each source pane showing the package/version for
each to help clarify things. I may also, for removals, be able to show the
package/source of the in-image version if people think that would be
helpful.

Regards, Gary.