[Pharo-project] Fwd: [Newbies] squeak locks up on windows / help me debug it...

Bill Schwab BSchwab at anest.ufl.edu
Sat Jan 10 10:40:28 EST 2009

Cam,

If I am reading this correctly, you are the newbie looking for a stable Smalltalk.  If you are new to the language, please stick with it for a while; it is worth the time to learn it.  You mentioned some things that might suggest you have experience with Smalltalk in general and are simply looking for a new dialect - I could be accused of that also.

As Chris pointed out, Pharo is not yet intended as a stable release.  3D is not really a priority for the project - part of me wishes it were, though I quickly realize that I need a platform for other work first.  Robust process synchronization, ANSI assignment (giving me back the ugly but widely used underscore), Seaside, SSL and a good user interface framework come to mind as the real essentials.

I cannot personally vouch for the stability of Squeak.  I have watched it for years, and occasionally used it for real work, usually for small tasks for which it had the necessary pieces waiting to be brought together.  One such project was 3D visualization of stacking boxes on carts - the trick was to buy the right cart, and Alice was helpful.  I do a lot of CAD these days (in my other life, I design and build medical gizmos), so if faced with a similar problem now, I might simply fire up QCad.  Still, the experience showed me that Squeak 3.6 to perhaps 3.8 was able to do a fair amount of translating, rotating and render without crashing too much.  It did occasionally quit though.

For years I too read the Squeak was rock solid.  A time or two, somebody would run into something somewhat scary and patch it.  I am cautiously optimistic, but plan to take it one step at a time.

My interest in Pharo is to find a path off of Windows, which (mincing words here) I consider to be a flaming piece of junk in the early phases of melting down into an abyss from which not even quantum tunnelling will allow escape.  I would greatly enjoy being wrong, but I cannot take that chance.  I have not reached the point of switching, but I get closer with each new frustration from Windows and each update of Pharo.  I have been studying alternatives to Windows for a long time, and my interest in choosing one is steadily increasing.

That brings me to a question: is your trouble with Pharo and B3D, or is it more about Vista?  I have my gripes with even XP doing screwy things.  Many times, I have caught Explorer incorrectly/partially rendering selection states and having opening scroll bars set such that extant list items are not reachable until the window is resized - genuine high school kid mistakes, and this is in commercial software.  Ok, maybe the fault is with device drivers or in our IT department's work in deploying the software.  One thing I can say for certain: I do not own these bugs, because none of my software runs on the offending machines, and I do not have administrative privileges on them.  Back to your problem, one possible scenario is the B3D crashed (I have seen it happen), and that Vista dragged it out into a slow spiral??

I doubt you will ever get excuses and propaganda from Pharo users and developers, but you will find a mission of creating a clean system into which other code can be loaded.  We are not trying to re-develop every Squeak package ever written.  We will hopefully have a list of packages known to work well, and will hopefully expand that list over time.

I started having problems with recent Pharo images freezing (immediately from load), and discovered that I was using a very old VM on one machine; grabbing a recent VM fixed it.  You might try that.  I would also suggest that you test both Croquet on your Vista machine (that should hopefully get the latest 3D efforts) and also try to find an XP or 2k machine to test your code.  My sincere evaluation is that Windows is slowly collapsing before our eyes.  An older system might do a better job of allowing you to isolate the problem.  And yes, it could be the very alpha-ish Pharo.

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida
Department of Anesthesiology