[Pharo-project] Re: [ANN] Demo with both Truetype + Polymorph

Bill Schwab BSchwab at anest.ufl.edu
Mon Sep 22 14:03:13 EDT 2008

Igor,

Ah, but you miss the point, wise and kind sir :)   Dumbing down users
makes them less able to pirate software.

That aside, assuming I unzip the files into a folder of my chosing[*]
and run Pharo.exe, what should happen?  I will unzip it elsewhere to see
what I find.  One of my attempts lead to "file not found."  It looks too
correct to be corrupt download, so I'm thinking MS is tripping up over
file names.

Bill

[*] Seriously, each update cycle, this particular XP box gets weirder
and weirder.

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida
Department of Anesthesiology
PO Box 100254
Gainesville, FL 32610-0254

Email: bschwab at anest.ufl.edu
Tel: (352) 273-6785
FAX: (352) 392-7029

2008/9/22 Bill Schwab <BSchwab at anest.ufl.edu>:
> I appeared to get a valid download, but something isn't right.  Is
the
> idea to download, unzip (MS seems to make this flakier with every
> update???), and then launch Pharo.exe?  Are there separate image and
> change files?  I do not see them, just a LOT of folders/files that
are
> giving my Java flashbacks.

MS people invented term of 'installing software' , while in most cases
it can be done by simply copying files.
And one of the results of such 'invention' that now people simply
can't make simplest things like unpacking acrhive to choosen folder
and run the program by themselves - they think in a terms of 'icon on
desktop' or 'icon in the launch menu'.. A progress. What i can say.

>From this POV, the distribution is still far away from the
'one-click', because , in my vision, a single click should be in
browser, and after this click you should have everything up and
running on your PC. :)

> My assumption was that this is a prepared image with Polymorph and
TT
> loaded, and on seeing the structure, I figured it was a Sophie-like
> distribution.  Are my expectations skewed?  Please let me know if I
am
> missing something.  Otherwise, I will try this again later.
>
> Bill
>

> Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
> University of Florida
> Department of Anesthesiology