[Pharo-project] FreeType

Gary Chambers gazzaguru2 at btinternet.com
Wed Nov 5 10:20:18 EST 2008

Hi all.

Using the latest FreeType (admittedly on a 3.9 image, though probably
generally applicable) we are noticing quite a lot of cache thrash, meaning
that the low-level  glyph rendering is happening quite often.

Really noticeable on slow machines (our deployment target has 800MHz
processors).
Was wondering if it might me a good idea to move the cached form rendering
into a plugin (lots of bit manipulation in Squeak code loops)?

We've stabilised thing for the moment by hanging onto the LogicalFonts used
and modifying the real font lookup to reuse existing matches and switching
to CRT mode (3 times quicker). First use of glyphs at varying subpixel
positions miss the cache though.

Regards, Gary.