[Pharo-project] On not unnecessarily closing down the language

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Thu Dec 25 22:32:01 EST 2008

At Wed, 24 Dec 2008 11:11:16 +0100,
Michael Rueger wrote:

> What really is the convenience of modifying an argument? Having not to
> think up another name? I never understood this argument especially if
> you need to use the original value of the argument in several places.

  If you can think of an argument as a "temp initialized by the
caller" (like C), that kind of unifies the args and temps and would
reduce the implementation complexity.  In *some cases* it would reduce
the lines of code in the user land.

> Same for upper/lowercase conventions, let alone uppercase method
> names.

  For this, I would strongly advocate to remove the restriction, as
only a small subset of letters (defined in Unicode) have the upper or
lower classification.

-- Yoshiki